Friday, October 27, 2006

Japanese Pumpkin Chai Mousse Cake!

As promised, here is the “Cake that will blow you away!” It is a Japanese pumpkin chai mousse cake. It’s “pumpkin pie meets chai and they start to make out on a wedding cake!”. The base is a basic white cake with added chai spices… I call it the “lazy man’s chai cake”. It’s hardly an acceptable chai cake but it is there only to serve as a base and not compete with the intense flavor of the mousse. The mousse is made of Kabocha squash which has many names such as sweet mama squash and Japanese pumpkin. It’s a neat squash that doesn’t really shrink when it’s cooked the way ibutternut squash does. The flavor is akin to pumpkin, butternut and yams all mixed together. You could, technically, use a normal pumpkin… but it’s a lot more fun to use a Japanese one!

This cake takes a whle to make. Make sure you have a good two hours to make this as well as an hour for the cake to settle in the fridge.



Cake base

1 vanilla cake or basic white cake recipe (one that uses about 2 cups of flour)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon turmeric (for color)
¼ - ½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ - ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
6 small cheesecake pans (or one 8” cheesecake pan for a bigger cake)

As you make your basic white cake, add the spices to the dry ingredients. Combine dry and wet ingredients and pour into 6 small cheesecake pans. Bake as per instructions (normally about 20-25 minutes). When the cakes come out, place them in the freezer (to get the cheesecake pans to cool down quickly). When they have cooled down, cut off a slice off the bottom of the cake if the cake takes up more than ½ of the cheesecake pan. Save them for later to make “star cut outs”.

Pumpkin Chai mousse

½ Kabocha squash. Inside scooped out and discarded. Cubed. Peeled
¼ cup soy milk

2 cups water
1 cup soy milk (+ up to 1 cup as needed)
5 chai tea bags
4 tablespoons (1 stick) Agar Agar
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup or rice syrup
2 tablespoons agave nectar

¼ cup soy milk
2 tablespoons arrowroot (or cornstarch…but arrowroot is better)

Place the cubed squash in a steamer for about 30 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together a slurry using the ¼ cup of soy milk and the arrowroot.

Place 2 cups of water in a small saucepan on medium heat until water starts to steam but not boil. Place 3 teabags and stir around, pressing down on the teabags regularly with a spatula to infuse lots of flavor. After 5 minutes, remove the teabags and discard. Add 1 cup of soy milk and 2 teabags and repeat the earlier process for another 5 minutes. Discard the teabags. Shred the agar with your hands and place the pieces into the steaming liquid. Stir regularly until agar is fully dissolved. This may take several minutes.

Place the steamed squash into a blender (you should have about 1 ½ cups – packed – of steamed squash) along with ¼ cups of soy milk. Blend into a smooth slurry.

Once agar is fully dissolved, measure into a bowl, how much chai/agar liquid you have. Add enough soy milk to equal 3 cups and return the mixture into the saucepan and back onto the stove. Add the sweetener and the squash mixture and whisk well to combine. Stir regularly and allow the mixture to almost reach a slow boil. Add the soy milk/arrowroot slurry and mix well. Allow mixture to heat to the same point again while stirring continuously. The mixture will feel a lot thicker. Remove from heat.

Place the tiny cheesecake pans on the bottom shelf of your fridge. Bring the saucepan to the fridge (this avoids a big mess) and spoon the mixture onto the cakes until the pans are almost overflowing with yummy pumpkin goodness. Pop any bubbles that form with a fork before you close the fridge door. If you have any mixture left over, place it into a small bowl and place wax paper onto the surface to avoid it forming a skin… place it in the fridge and save it for a midnight craving. Allow the cakes to cool for a full 1 or 2 hours… preferably overnight.

Using a cookie cutter, cut out cute shapes out of the “cake bottoms” and place the shapes into a ziplock bag until you’re ready to serve the cakes.

To serve the cake, run a small knife along the edge of the cheesecake pan to loosen the mousse from the pan. Open the cheesecake pan and place the cake onto a place. Top with “cake shapes”. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Candi said...

Ben, I'm in awe of the cuteness of these cakes! You've gotten me thinking of using chai tea in baking since I first saw the Om-cakes! Lol! I love the layers of this one though. I may try making these for our Thanksgiving!

Oh, and your post had me laughing again with all your comments like: "...they start to make out on a wedding cake!” Lol!

Btw, the squash incident...totally not the recipe's fault!! I thought the filling smelled awesome! That squash just had it in for me. I don't think raw squash would have even tasted as bad as this one, so I think it had big issues from the start. :( No! I won't give up on spaghetti squash! I do agree with you on the tempeh though!! *shudders* I made some once and could not believe people actually like it. A wise blogger here told me to steam it before using it in a recipe, and that takes the bitterness out. I'm a little afraid to try it out, but so many people like it that I think I'll give it a go! You should too! Do it! We can have the 'World's Worst Tempeh' competition!

Candi said...

Speaking of bad grammar... LOL! oooh, why can we not edit our comments??

Amey said...

Wow!
That cake looks freakin' awesome!!! I think I will have to try it sometime soon. wowee!!! Thanks so much for sharing it.

:) Amey

urban vegan said...

Fusion vegan baking--I love it.

Great cake and great blog.

Anonymous said...

Wow. If I were religious, I would call this sinful! It seriously looks so delicious. I just made chai muffins and a pumpkin pie so I am dreamingly imagining how this cake would taste. I will definitely give it a try one of these days when I find myself with a lot of free time.

Ben Kaelan said...

Candi - If you make this cake I wanna see pictures!! Don't hold your breath on the tempeh... I've been traumatised for life... Not even Freud could undo the psychological dammage :)

Amey - Thanks for the nice comments!! *blush* I love it when people like the stuff I make... now if there was only a way to taste my creations via the internet :P

VV - I love chai everything... and yea I just thought the flavours would mix very well with Chai. Let me know how it turns out if you do try it. And yea... make sure you have a lot of time on your hands... it does take a while but everyone who tried a piece loved it.

I'm working on another chai mousse cake that would be less labor intensive... so we'll see how that turns out. :)

aTxVegn said...

Hey, Ben. Okay I got really tired reading this recipe, then remembered I recently spent 2 days making a 3 layer cake. So I read it again and decided that it's just so darn beautiful and delicious sounding, it's definitely worth the time. In fact, I thought about you when I saw some kabuchi squash in asian market yesterday.

Beautiful pics. You're so creative.

- Diann

bazu said...

Ok, I've been wanting to comment for a couple of days now, but your photo and your recipe have actually made me speechless- I don't know what to say! This looks so yummy, and I really want to attempt it, but the recipe also intimidates me a little... maybe I'll give it a shot for Thanksgiving.
Hey, I just bought some agar agar bars from the Asian market- do you have any advice for how to use them, compared with using powdered agar?
And, how come you're not a professional chef??...

Ben Kaelan said...

txnvgn: I know... it's such an elaborate cake... but it's delish; I sent some to my sister, mom and dad and they ate them all and raved about how delish it was and how light it was for a dessert.

Bazu: You're so kind with your praise, as always. I only use the bar form of Agar... always. Typically one bar is equal to 4 TBSP. The powdered one can actually have a fishy taste to it which is why I prefer the bar form. I simply shred it with my hands in small pieces and basically make ABSOLUTELY sure it's completely dissolved. There really isn't much trick to it :) It's pretty fool proof if you're following a proven recipe... when you're trying to make a recipe using agar it becomes a bit trickier with ratios and stuff :) Let me know if you want the info for that too :)

Me a professional chef? I've been thinking about it honestly... but if I went to Le cordon Bleu I'd need to learn how to manipulate meat... I think there are just a few vegan cooking schools and they're all in the states... I'll focus on finishing my fine arts degree first :) But thanks for your vote of confidence :)

- Ben

Kris said...

That chai cake looks incredible! I love infusing things with chai, it adds such depth of flavor. I think I'll be trying this recipe soon...