Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Detox-Friendly Samosas

So I know Indian food is a lot like marmite; you either love it or you hate it. I absolutely LOVE the stuff. But many of the ingredients are not allowed on the Pagano regimen; white potatoes, tomatoes, loads of spices, white flour... Therefore I had to find a solution. I put my Superman underwear on and started to devise a way to make them work.

I present to you Sweet Potato, Edamame & Kale Samosas with Red Onion & Fig Chutney. Or you know... detox-friendly samosas for short! :)


To make the dough

2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 - 1 cup water

To make the filling

2 large sweet potatoes
1 cup edamame (out of the pod)
1 cup of kale
1 medium white onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon savory
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon salt

Peel and cube the sweet potato. Place in a steamer for 20 minutes.

Sift the dry ingredients and mix well to combine. In a food processor add the olive oil then the water until a dough forms (you could also do this in a bowl with your hands... but get with the times already! haha!). Cover the dough and allow it to stand for half an hour.

Chop up the kale and add to the steamer (there should be about 5-10 minutes or so remaining by this point).

Saute the onions in a bit of olive oil until they turn translucent. Add the spices and saute for another minute.

In a large bowl mash the sweet potato/steamed kale mixture. Add the onion mixture and mix well to combine. Gently add the edamame to the mixture.

Preheat oven to 375F.

Split the dough into 2 equal parts. Split those into 2 equal parts. Then spit the four pieces into 3 equal parts each. This is a fool proof way of ending up with 12 equal portions. With a rolling pin, roll each ball of dough into a circle; about 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Work on one samosa at a time. Keep the remaining balls of dough covered.

**This part takes a lot of practice** Place about 1/4 (or as much as possible) of a cup of the filling in the centre of the circle and pinch the tops (two opposite corners) together. Pinch together one side of the samosa together. At this point if you were unable to get much filling in there earlier, this is a good time to push the mixture to the closed side using a spoon and then add more mixture before closing the other side. Make sure your sides are well pinched/crimped together.

Brush samosas with a bit of olive oil and place on a non stick cookie sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes until the edges start to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool thoroughly.

To make the Chutney

8 dried black mission figs, chopped roughly
1 small red onion; chopped roughly
2 heaping teaspoons of naturally sweetened apricot preserve
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Mix all ingredients together! And tada! Yummy detox-friendly chutney.

Although you may be tempted to bite into these right away, I suggest being patient: they taste even better the next day!

Namaste!

6 comments:

Candi said...

Yummy! I love samosas, but I never order them since they are usually too oily. I never make them because I do not own superman underwear. Lol!! Actually, they looked too intimidating to make. I see there is a step that requires patience. Hmmm. I'm not sure I can do this!

I love how they are baked though. Seems like with everything, you have to make it yourself to get it right...so I will be trying these! Plus, I see my beloved sweet potatoes in there! Oh yeah! These are in my future!

Thanks for another great recipe! :) I'm glad you created this blog! May I link you to mine?

Ben Kaelan said...

They're actually not all that daunting to make. I was actually pleasantly surprised. This was actually my first time making samosas (detox friendly or otherwise). I will admit that had I lined up the first one I made to the last it would have looked a bit like a picture for "samosa evoultionary theory". But the good news is halfway through I really got the hang of it... The only mistake I made with the first one really was not rolling out the dough enough.... I was scared of it being too thin.

I'm sure you'll do awesome :) Even if you don't own superman underwear.

Oh and you can definately link my blog :) I'll do the same for yours!

Anonymous said...

Wow ! I never made samosas but you are like brainwashing me into it LOL

"Samosa Evolutionary Theory" LOL

Ben Kaelan said...

Brainwashing eh? That's the conspiracy part of my blog! LOL

Nikk said...

Samosas are one of my favorite foods...only rating slightly lower than pakoras.

These look fantastic. I don't own Superman underwear either, but I think I'll try these anyway some time.

Anonymous said...

This is John.Yes, I agree with you.I am interested in Poker game.can you tell me some trick for gambling.

==================================

JOHN

http://www.CelebPoker.com