Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Here we go !

My first post! It probably would be proper to explain what my goal is here... A manifesto of sorts. Quite simply, I love to cook! I'm also a Leo and an art student therefore I like to flaunt my masterpieces... And seeing as I live alone and have no one to give me daily accolades I figured a blog would be a good idea!

My philosophy on nutrition

I became vegan 6 years ago and it's been quite an adventure since then. I remember the first vegan meal I made myself was firm tofu stir fried (on it's own) with olive oil and a bit of curry and tumeric.... It was so bland and yuck I drenched it with ketchup. I remember thinking this vegan thing was going to be hard. No wonder I was a tard in the kitchen! Everything I ate until then had been ready-made/just add water nonsense. I learned to cook, refined my kitchen skills and invested in several vegan cookbooks.

In march of 2005 I made yet another dietary change: I adopted an alkaline diet and eliminated nightshades from my diet. I originally did this to heal myself of psoriasis (which was quite severe and painful) and I can happily report that there has been a dramatic improvement and I'm getting better everyday. The Alkaline diet actually has made me rediscover the basics of veganism; fresh vegetables and fruits. With the added challenge of eliminating tomatoes, peppers and eggplants (seriously... everything I ate before had tomatoes!) I ventured forth in search of new recipes and actually created a lot of my own.

My hope is that I'll get the chance to show off a bit (hehe!) and receive your accolades. On a serious note though... I do hope this blog will maybe inspire other psoriatics to take on the Pagano Regimen which can look quite daunting at first. I also hope to help vegans who maybe are stuck in a routine to change it up a bit. Try new ingredients, ditch the white sugar, the white flour and try more wholesome alternatives!

I'll quit ranting now... I know what you came here for... Pictures of yummy tasty food!

Lots of love,

- Ben

4 comments:

-toph. said...

your blog looks like a fun read. if i see a dish i like - you better provide the recipe!

Ben Kaelan said...

I hope it becomes a fun read!! All recipes will be divulged... you won't have to bribe me just yet! Or blackmail me ;)

Candi said...

Hi Ben! I found you from Susan's Fat-Free blog and popped in say congrats on your new blog!! Also, I applaud you for using nutritional therapy to help you with psoriasis. I don't know much about that, but I love hearing when people take their health into their own hands and do something!

Anyhow, I'm off to peek at your other posts. :P Welcome to blogger!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on starting a new blog. I think i just got psoriasis a couple of months ago and it's driving me crazy. I had it on my elbows and a little on my arms and I have it on my scalp. I put pure tea tree oil on my elbows/arms and it seems to have cleared it right up. I just started yesterday putting it on my scalp. It's a bit more difficult because of all my hair.

I'm really interested in learning more about the alkaline diet.

Off to browse around your other posts bit more.